Monday, September 1, 2008

Hippie Hair Care

I haven't washed my hair in a while, in fact it's been a month or more. Not with shampoo at least. I have found it isn't any different than when I did wash. It was greasy for a couple of weeks but after that the oil problem wasn't bad at all. For years my scalp had to produce extra oil to offset the shampoo I was using.

My hair now just smells like hair really. I don't know if this is for everybody and I still wash other hair with soap. It is important to brush your hair to get all the dead skin cells off your scalp and spread the oil from the roots to the tips but that's really all you need to do. I would suggest a natural bristle brush for this. If you towel dry it also gets some of that grease off. The more you towel dry the more you will get off. Nobody has noticed yet so it must be decent looking/smelling. I imagine if you are in any workplace with dust or penetrating odors this might not be for you.

Most shampoo's contain hormones like estrogen, and the dioxins in them can lead to heart disease and cancers. Endocrine disruptors in them can block important hormonal functions from taking place in the body. Same goes with most soaps as well.

The main reason I tried this is that with all the good things I do and eat, I am going bald. I figure the shampoo may not be helping with this situation. Now some may say it's all genetic, but when the baseline of humans are eating meat and cooked food there may be room for improvement.* We also have a host of herbs at our disposal in this day and age. If I am wrong you will probably all see the result, but it can't hurt to try.

What I am doing right now:

  • 1500mg daily of Saw Palmetto blocks the testosterone from being converted to DHT, which is the primary cause of hair follicles to stop growing. An herbal propecia if you will. About 17 dollars for a 3 month supply
  • 300mg daily of Ginkgo Biloba to increase circulation to the scalp.* About 12 dollars for a 4 month supply
  • scalp massages
  • liver cleanses
  • dry brushing to remove dead skin cells from the scalp and evenly distributing natural oils
  • not using shampoo
Other supplements like silica, biotin, zinc, and omega 3's have also been shown to help and I might give them a try.
I don't know we will see, I think another contributor is the mercury fillings in my teeth. Heavy metal toxicity can cause hair loss among a host of other ailments. The FDA has finally put out a warning about these fillings, thank goodness.

*Another way to increase circulation would be to climb in a sauna, but my fillings prevent this at the moment. The heat would make a lot more mercury leak out of them.

*I ate meat on Saturday and generally thrashed my body.
On the other hand I have had a green smoothie every day for about a week and a half.
When will I seriously apply what I know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Mark Warren and i would like to show you my personal experience with Propecia.

I am 61 years old. Have been on Propecia for 6 years now. The drug has definitely slowed hair loss and kept my bald spot from growing much. Much less hair in the bathtub. No side effects - I'm puzzled by the hysterical posts about this. My big gripe is the cost - the price has gone up, not down. And my dermatologist refuses to prescribe proscar, which is the same thing except you have to split the pills.

I have experienced some of these side effects-
None that I can link to propecia specifically.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Mark Warren